Burma: un observers and a mass grave

Burma: un-observers and a mass grave

Armed forces accuse arakan rohingya salvation army (arsa) of carrying out massacre of hindus

The burmese government has officially invited united nations observers to see the situation on the ground in the civil-war province of rakhine. A visit to maungdaw, which was originally scheduled for yesterday, was postponed at short notice until next week due to bad weather conditions: in october the monsoon ends there and the dry season begins. Earlier, un secretary-general antonio guterres had accused the government of the southeast asian country of ethnic cleansing because almost half of the ethnic bengalis living in this troubled region had fled not to the interior of the country but to neighboring bangladesh, where their ancestors came from and where their language is spoken.

Hau do-suan, burma’s ambassador to the un, had made this accusation in a speech to the general assembly as a "unfounded" and "irresponsible" rejected. According to him, the burmese government is doing everything in its power to help the rohingya bengalis living in rakhine. Burma’s head of government, aung san suu kyi, had already publicly emphasized last week that the rohingya who had fled to bangladesh had the right to return to burma as a matter of course. Social welfare minister win myat aye said wednesday that two reception centers will be built in taungpyo letwe and ngakhuya for the return of rohingya bengalis who have fled to bangladesh at a cost of about fourteen and a half million us dollars. There, the un and the red cross could also provide assistance, which is currently only possible to a limited extent in the center of the conflict for security reasons.

Massacre in ye baw kya

From rakhine, the army reported on 24. In september, the discovery of a mass grave with the bodies of 20 adults and eight children near the village of ye baw kya was reported. The following day, 17 more bodies were found buried in the ground. The dead were hindus, according to the armed forces "in a gruesome manner" were killed by islamist fighters of the arakan rohingya salvation army (arsa). This group, which denies mass murder, until recently hewed to "harakah al-yakin" ("faith movement"), maintains close contacts with saudi arabia, pakistan, and afghanistan, and started the civil war on the 25. August with attacks on 30 police posts and an army base (cf. Aung san suu kyi criticizes "fake news" s conflict in rakhine).

Three hindu women from a refugee shelter in bangladesh meanwhile confirmed that already at the beginning of the conflict armed muslims, who communicated partly in bengali and partly in other languages (unknown to them), came to ye baw kya and rounded up about 100 hindus, tied them up in a field and cut their throats with knives. The bodies were then buried. According to their own statements, they survived only because they converted to islam. On their subsequent escape to bangladesh, they were told to claim that the perpetrators were buddhists, which they initially complied with.

Bangladesh denies arrests

According to the burmese hindu representative ni maul, about 500 of the previous 5 fled.000 hindus in the center of the conflict not to the interior of burma, but to bangladesh. According to his information, nine hindu villages have burned down, only ky ein chaung and nga khu ya are still standing. According to tin maung swe of the rakhine regional government, other arsa-related murders have been committed against members of the mro and daingnet ethnic groups. The information released by yu lwin aung, a member of the burmese human rights commission, on tuesday that six suspects had been arrested in bangladesh in connection with the ye baw kya massacre has since been denied by the security authorities there.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *